POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Problems with POV 3.5 Linux : Problems with POV 3.5 Linux Server Time
5 Aug 2024 02:24:30 EDT (-0400)
  Problems with POV 3.5 Linux
From: Steve Martin
Date: 22 Dec 2002 10:51:46
Message: <3e05df92@news.povray.org>
Please forgive me if this has been discussed here, but I'm rather
at my wits' end to figure out what is going on, and didn't see this
mentioned here, so I figure it's something wrong on my end.

I'm trying to download and install the Linux binary of POV-Ray 3.5
onto my RedHat 7.3 system. However, each time I try, gzip complains
about CRC errors in the file. (It complains also over the source
file.) As nearly as I can tell, there is no corruption, since the
byte count of my downloaded file agrees with that shown on the
server, and I've tried this with two different FTP clients as well
as via HTTP transfer with Mozilla, but I get the same results each
time.

I went so far as to think that perhaps RedHat had done something to
gzip (the installed version is 1.3.3, which according to FSF is a
beta), so I downloaded and installed gzip 1.2.4 straight from gnu.org,
with the same results.

Can anyone shed some light on why I am unable to un-gzip the archive
files?

--
Steve Martin, CPBE CBNT